Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Patience Young Grasshopper


Grasshopper Arm Balance
To be completely honest, the first time I saw this posture, I thought: How the hell did that leg get there?!  Well, I've figured out one variation that is relatively simple once broken down.  Of course, there are other ways to come into this posture; if you have one you prefer, go for it and have fun!
Before trying this posture, please warm up.  Grasshopper requires flexibility, strength, balance, and above all a positive attitude.  Once you are ready, I recommend you begin by moving into a twist with the foot on the back of the humerus (as I did in the video).  Only transition into the arm balance once you can get your foot on the back of the arm.  This is why it is so important to warm up the hips, hamstrings, wrists, shoulders, core, and everything else before the posture.
Also, you may notice that before moving into the balance I lift my hips and adjust my hands on the mat in order to find the best distribution of weight.  Keep your gaze beyond your fingertips, gradually shifting the gaze to the left/right side.  Squeeze your elbows close to the body (Chaturanga arms).  Keep the elbows around a 90 degree angle in order to act as a shelf for the foot.  And voilà...maybe.  
Remember, to be patient if a posture doesn't work on the first try.  Don't give up and don't become frustrated.  Yoga is about practice, not perfection :)

No comments:

Post a Comment